Sunday, 17 October 2010

Neutrophils 0.7 !

News from the end of yesterday ( from blood test earlier in the day) : my Neutrophils are at 0.7 ( 1.0 will mean I'm at a level resistant to infection and a long overdue return to normal food) and platelets and haemoglobin at levels which mean no more transfusions.

Hoping for 1.0 at the end of the day today, and a positive review of my status when the doctors meet tomorrow.
Could this mean home 22nd or 27th October?

Of course it's hard to believe I've got to through all this again, and that my ultimate recovery is not dependant on this pattern of treatment at all, but 'switching on' of the chromosomes that 'turned themselves off' most effectively achieved by a bone marrow transplant. I have been told that "in terms of the long term prognosis the concencus cannot be classified as 'good', and that a bone marrow transplant consolidated with stem cell implant seems to be the most likely course of treatment".

Michael and Andrew have both had blood tests to determine if there is a match there (25% chance of '6 on 6' match), but otherwise a non-related search will have to be carried out.

Scarey stuff really.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are back to 'normal' food

    Scary yes but keep the faith - i had a wobble when they told me i have to give blood before i can go on bone marrow register but in all honesty such small fry compared to what you are going through!

    Dreamt last night I gave you a BIG HUG - hope you got it

    You are much loved and healing being sent to you constantly

    Hope the sun streams in through your window today

    Ben and I off for a walk along the river in Walton x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow REALLY home by the end of October...?! Fingers crossed for that happening mate. It's seems to be looking good though if you are already .7! Keeping EVERYTHING crossed that Michael and Andrew turn out to be the best match.
    Our news: I was very poorly from drinking way too much wine with Diane (Porthcawl) Friday through to Saturday. Had to miss a course I was book on because I was so hung over. Bad girl! Dunc spent ALL weekend putting up a climbing frame consisting of two swings, a trapese rope, slide, monkey bars, climbing wall (all in one) for the boys. Won himself LOTS of praise and love for that one! I'm sure they will let you play on is when you are feeling better. We went out on a 'date' to Nantymoel. It was a murder mystery four course meal and absolutely brilliant fun. That's about it from Splott for the moment. Masses of love Lynf and boys XxXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon.
    Hi It's David [once fellow inmate of yours at KP]...only got the news of your
    hospitalization from Pat last week as we poked a mysterious fishy cake courtesy of your favourite canteen.
    The photo of you in your bed shows you looking in positive mood .....which Penny and I are relieved to see!
    I'm told that visitors aren't allowed, which is understandable but as soon as we are given the green light- I for one will be doing a grotesque karaoke/drawn caricature of any ex-KU faculty member of staff of your choice ....live, at your bedside, for therapeutic/cathartic purposes only. Something that the NHS nor KU officially offer.
    I look forward to seeing Dai...
    David [and Penny]

    ReplyDelete